No account? Register here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Community Member

The Inevitable 12th Doctor Speculation Thread

For those who don't know, Matt Smith recently announced his departure from the role of the 11th Doctor: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...ave-Doctor-Who

So! Time for the inevitable guesswork to begin! Who should/could succeed Matt as the Doctor?

Allow me to cover the inevitable usual guesses now

Alan Davies!
    Eddie Izzard!
    Hugh Grant!
    A Woman!

Also, to the news I have to add a :'(

Matt has been brilliant and I miss him already, and he's not even gone yet! I'll be excited to see the Twelfth Doctor, but I will miss Eleven...

John Hurt could take over the role.
    Eddie Izzard is a great choice too.
    I'd prefer to go with an older female Doctor, an A list grand dame like Judi Dench, Helen Mirren or Maggie Smith.

Community Member
    I doubt John Hurt will take over. The 11th Doctor knows about him, so I think that implies that Hurt is from the Doctor's past.

I know Doctor Who has fluid continuity, but I'll try to reinforce that belief with this quote: "These are my replacements? A dandy and a clown?"

I understand that Hurt is a past Doctor, probably the real 9th Dr, but given that the Dr's time stream is being screwed around with, anything could happen.
    I doubt it will be Hurt though.

I just hope we can avoid all the: Doctor Who should be an old woman with a Boostier costume demands.

Course they did the whole, James Bond should be a gal, a few times back.

I don't really get the bostier costume. I'm advocating a respectable old woman, not a tart in lingerie. I don't see any reason at all why the next Doctor couldn't be a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by iamasims2 View Post
    I don't really get the bostier costume. I'm advocating a respectable old woman, not a tart in lingerie. I don't see any reason at all why the next Doctor couldn't be a woman.
    I really wasn't focusing on your specific post, but in general to what happened when David resigned.
    The boostier is what we call in my old neighborhood one of those old outfits showgirls use to wear
    boosting up their...."assets".

I can't disagree with you more (respectfully). Dr. Who is a guy. Always will be. To change it, would
    be to change everything. Isn't it also being disrespectful of women, saying.... oh we can't be bothered to
    create a unique and new main character but will slot you into this role.....

What's next.... a female Hamlet?

Katy Manning playing Iris - that's the next incarnation. Honest.

Community Member
    I wouldn't mind Richard Coyle and Ben Daniels would be fine but my personal choice would be Jamie Parker - a fantastic actor but relatively unknown.

If female Anna Chancellor would be a good older choice or Hayley Atwell.

Community Member
    Needs to be a man, and an older man at that! At least 50 years old!

Community Member
    Even the Classic series only had two actors 50 or over when they first played the Doctor.

Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VDCNI View Post
    Even the Classic series only had two actors 50 or over when they first played the Doctor.
    So?? It works better!

Community Member
    So Hartnell and Pertwee were better Doctor's than all the others because they were over 50?

Community Member
    So Hartnell and Pertwee were better Doctor's than all the others because they were over 50?
    They were better actors, who just happened to be over 50!
    Why is it so difficult for people, like you, to understand that having an older actor could turn out to be the best thing to happen to NuWho?
    What is so wrong in casting an older actor?
    (ohh, just remembered, they'd be no more fan girls!)

Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmorris7777 View Post
    They were better actors, who just happened to be over 50!
    Why is it so difficult for people, like you, to understand that having an older actor could turn out to be the best thing to happen to NuWho?
    What is so wrong in casting an older actor?
    (ohh, just remembered, they'd be no more fan girls!)
    Happy to cast an older actor - just querying why it would be better for them to be over 50 when it was quite an unusual situation for that to happen even in the Classic series when they were more likely to cast an older actor, hell Tom Baker & Pat Troughton were under 50 even when they left the role.

Just seemed you were lazily assuming more of the classic doctors were actually over 50.

Community Member
    Just seemed you were lazily assuming more of the classic doctors were actually over 50.
    I didn't assume more of the classic Doctors were actually over 50!
    Go back and read what I wrote!

Community Member
    I did, queried it and I didn't get a proper response, just your usual bluster.
    Last edited by VDCNI; 2nd June 2013 at 08:58.

Community Member
    I doubt that we will get a very much older Doctor. Since the series returned it's been all about running and jumping. I simply can't imagine (John Hurt, say) in that kind of role.

Of course the show could change pace, which in some ways wouldn't be a bad thing, as it does get a bit frantic at times, but would the makers go with such a risk of alienating their core fans?

The usual questions about whether he will be black or a woman will be asked but, again, I doubt they will take that risk with the fan base. I'm not saying it couldn't be, just that's it's unlikely.

The worst of all worlds would be if the trend was to continue of the actor playing the Doctor to be younger still. The last thing we need is some spotty oik out of Eastenders or the like.

Community Member
    Well it will be hard to go younger than Matt Smith! I would expect at least a decade or so older - that's where Moffat was thinking last time anyway.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast