No account? Register here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum ban

Community Member
    To be honest "Freedom of speech" that a lot of US visitors claim that they have when I visit siyes don't seem to realise that this is a UK based website ran by a UK company and therefore they are fully within their rights to do what they like and how they like. Under UK law BF are the ones legally responsible for what is posted here not the posters and Mumsnet was almost closed due to lawsuit brought against them by somebody who was trolled.

Also a lot of sites will have the whole issue of bans and public discussion of bans, including making secondary accounts a perma bannable offence as well as having accounts deleted and claiming that you wanted to discuss this in a public forum rather than wait until office hours shows you don't want to discuss it with the BF team but to potentially flame.

I am not aware of what happened in the original discussion but if I am to believe what the OP is saying that there was the potential of naked pictures of children used for the purpose of charity collecting then under the very strict UK laws Big Finish could have had their entire website taken down for allowing to happen. It has happened several times and whole server farms have been shut while it is worked out what sites have needed taking down.

Currently in the UK there is a very big anti-charity feeling going on with large charities acting very poorly and coupled with the huge amount of interest of systematic and widespread abuse going on in the UK for over 50 years and it was right to the moderators to have done what they have done and I say well done for taking a stand.

Can we please let the forums be for the discussion of Dr Who and BF related stuff as I am sick of the real world as it is and there is plenty of other places to discuss it and only a very few for Dr Who.

Community Member
    As someone who saw the inflammatory posts by the original person, it's important to clarify that no material whatsoever of that sort was ever posted here by any user.

Quote Originally Posted by IcecreamDF View Post
    Well, he's gone for now. Why don't we just stop talking about him for now, and if he comes back, we can give him the benefit of the doubt unless he starts being obnoxious again.
    Well, it was a good try.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianemery View Post
    To be honest "Freedom of speech" that a lot of US visitors claim that they have when I visit siyes don't seem to realise that this is a UK based website ran by a UK company and therefore they are fully within their rights to do what they like and how they like. Under UK law BF are the ones legally responsible for what is posted here not the posters and Mumsnet was almost closed due to lawsuit brought against them by somebody who was trolled.

Also a lot of sites will have the whole issue of bans and public discussion of bans, including making secondary accounts a perma bannable offence as well as having accounts deleted and claiming that you wanted to discuss this in a public forum rather than wait until office hours shows you don't want to discuss it with the BF team but to potentially flame.

I am not aware of what happened in the original discussion but if I am to believe what the OP is saying that there was the potential of naked pictures of children used for the purpose of charity collecting then under the very strict UK laws Big Finish could have had their entire website taken down for allowing to happen. It has happened several times and whole server farms have been shut while it is worked out what sites have needed taking down.

Currently in the UK there is a very big anti-charity feeling going on with large charities acting very poorly and coupled with the huge amount of interest of systematic and widespread abuse going on in the UK for over 50 years and it was right to the moderators to have done what they have done and I say well done for taking a stand.

Can we please let the forums be for the discussion of Dr Who and BF related stuff as I am sick of the real world as it is and there is plenty of other places to discuss it and only a very few for Dr Who.
    Does the UK not have an equivalent of our first amendment? Anyway, even if BF was an American site, all the first amendment means is that the government can't censor what he says. BF would be fully withing their rights to censor him on their own site. I didn't see the original posts on Gallifrey Base or whatever, but from what he said it sounded like it was mostly hypothetical.

Does the UK not have an equivalent of our first amendment? Anyway, even if BF was an American site, all the first amendment means is that the government can't censor what he says. BF would be fully withing their rights to censor him on their own site. I didn't see the original posts on Gallifrey Base or whatever, but from what he said it sounded like it was mostly hypothetical.
    we do, however in certain circumstances such as if you threatened someone with violent behavior like murder or rape than you could indeed end up in court about it with some trolls ending up with 2 years of jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwhotardis View Post
    we do, however in certain circumstances such as if you threatened someone with violent behavior like murder or rape than you could indeed end up in court about it with some trolls ending up with 2 years of jail time.
    I am no lawyer, so take this grain of salt, but their is similar laws in the states. Certainly threats on public officials, the president, is often taken very seriously. Also laws like yelling Fire in a crowded theater, things like that aren't protected.

Whatever, the lesson here is to stay relevant to the main topic of the forum. Here it's Big Finish Productions and its output, with a healthy dose of Doctor Who in general. People have posted about other subjects, and in those cases the subjects aren't overly negative, violent, unreasonably offensive or things that no one engages in or maintains conversation about. Keep having positive, productive and interesting conversations and everything should be fine, no need for talk of banning people.
    ♪These endless days are finally ending in blaze, and we are caught in the fire♪

Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianemery View Post
    To be honest "Freedom of speech" that a lot of US visitors claim that they have when I visit siyes don't seem to realise that this is a UK based website ran by a UK company and therefore they are fully within their rights to do what they like and how they like.
    Incidently do are US companies. The "Freedom of speech" clause only applies as a constraint on the government, only the government in its various guises (local, state, federal, executive, legislature, judicial, etc) has to allow it's citizens the freedom of speech, any other legal person or body is able to say what can and what cannot be said within the auspices if what it controls.
    Does the UK not have an equivalent of our first amendment?
    No, not at all, we have human rights legislation which could be used to protect some freedom of speech, but other than that freedom of speech is something not protected by legislation.
    Last edited by JasonWard; 7th September 2015 at 11:17.

Community Member NucleusOfSwarm's Avatar
    The morale of the story is don't be a dick. BF have some of the most mature and nicest forums I've seen anywhere on the internet, and why people seek to disrupt that is beyond me.
    Go On. Give my Who reviews a whirl here: http://savagescribe.deviantart.com/g...203/Doctor-Who

Quote Originally Posted by rcalmy View Post
    Well, it was a good try.
    It's worth remembering that the OP decided to create a secondary account to post in a discussion group because he didn't feel like waiting until Monday morning to air his views. As such, he has created a topic that posters are participating in, including the moderator. It hasn't been closed, nor has Ian had to ask people to stop posting - so it seems fair enough that people who wish to contribute should do so.

Quote Originally Posted by NucelusOfSwarm
    The morale of the story is don't be a dick. BF have some of the most mature and nicest forums I've seen anywhere on the internet, and why people seek to disrupt that is beyond me.
    Indeed.

Community Member
    Wow, I'm so glad now I was Ill at the weekend and missed this.

I like this forum because it is lighthearted, whimsical and discusses stuff I enjoy. Real life shall be left at the door.

As for freedom of speech; well you are free to say what you like. You aren't of course free from the consequences of saying whatever you like. Bans are never given out lightly.

That's my coffee fueled half cent. Now I shall do something important; finish remnants and make dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by NucleusOfSwarm View Post
    I've found this to be a relaxed friendly good humoured forum & I've only encountered two posters who i ignore, Dalekbuster hasn't learned his lesson as he's been previously banned from other forums.
    "You dont understand the implications, I'm not a human being, I'm a Timelord I walk in Eternity".

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord007 View Post
    I've found this to be a relaxed friendly good humoured forum & I've only encountered two posters who i ignore, Dalekbuster hasn't learned his lesson as he's been previously banned from other forums.
    Well, we won't know until he comes back. If he does come back when his ban is up, lets all just put this behind us, and give him the opportunity to do the same.

In my humble opinion he should have been banned permanently.

Community Member johnhurtdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Timelord View Post
    In my humble opinion he should have been banned permanently.
    I do not think we should be discussing such things on this forum. If anyone has issue with a member & their ban etc then pm a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhurtdoctor View Post
    I do not think we should be discussing such things on this forum. If anyone has issue with a member & their ban etc then pm a mod.
    I agree. In fact, I think this thread should probably be locked. There is really no reason that anybody other than CompanionChroniclesLover/DalekBuster and Ian should have posted anything on this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12