No account? Register here

View Poll Results: How would you rate The Archive?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

2 11.11%
  • Good

12 66.67%
  • Okay

2 11.11%
  • Flawed

2 11.11%
  • Bad

0 0%

Worlds of Big Finish: The Archive

Thread for discussing part 1 of "Worlds of Big Finish", featuring Abby and Zara.

Community Member DavidJGallagher's Avatar
    Great to hear the ladies back in action again.

Funny that on a TW thread people were saying kissing never seems right on audio...well this one starts with quite the smacker I like the way Zara and Abby are considered infamous legends. Barnaby Edwards does a great job as Romulus Chang. I almost didn't realise it was him. Having the story very quickly become a murder mystery worked well. By neccessity the setups for these have to be rushed a little but you still get to know the characters pretty well in such a short time. It really does feel like an episode of Graceless.

What a great setup for the book too. It doesn't feel like a McGuffin but an essential part of the plot.
    "When I say run....."

Fo'ward!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJGallagher View Post
    Great to hear the ladies back in action again.

Funny that on a TW thread people were saying kissing never seems right on audio...well this one starts with quite the smacker I like the way Zara and Abby are considered infamous legends. Barnaby Edwards does a great job as Romulus Chang. I almost didn't realise it was him. Having the story very quickly become a murder mystery worked well. By neccessity the setups for these have to be rushed a little but you still get to know the characters pretty well in such a short time. It really does feel like an episode of Graceless.

What a great setup for the book too. It doesn't feel like a McGuffin but an essential part of the plot.
    Completely agree with this summary. It's a great opening that works both as part of the overarching narrative and as its own standalone story.

My full review's here: http://artronreviews.blogspot.com/20...e-archive.html

Community Member
    As someone who's never listened to Graceless, this didn't do much for me or make me interested in their series. There's a limit on what you can do in a half hour story to introduce the characters and so much of it was exposition. Much of it was probably necessary to be communicated some way. If BF decided to go this way, it was probably to lead off with a story from a dormant range, as it doesn't slow down a program for a continuing series.

Perhaps half an hour that also introduces the main thread isn't the best way to convey the character stuff you find in the Graceless stories. It's still an interesting story, with the Archive a fascinating concept (which is a bit like the Library from Silence In The Library and Forest Of The Dead in scale at least). Interesting that David Llewellyn wrote all six stories, I'd expect Simon Guerrier to write the Graceless one.

So far I'd say this is like the last story in Worlds Of Doctor Who in that you have the main characters from a specific range, but the story focuses more on how they relate to the arc and doesn't evoke that range as well as the other stories do.
    ♪These endless days are finally ending in blaze, and we are caught in the fire♪

Community Member
    Felt a bit rushed in places but was very enjoyable.