No account? Register here

The Listeners #23 Judge Dredd - Crime Chronicles: Double Zero

The Listeners title for April is now live at 2.99 on Download for the entire month: Judge Dredd - Crime Chronicles: Double Zero.

For thoughts on the title, post away!

Community Member
    Well now I know what I am listening to when I paint the wee un's bedroom this weekend.

Given the four Crime Chronicles, I suppose this is the most approachable. It features Dredd and Anderson who most people will be familiar with from the film - as well as her powers. It's got Louise Jameson in it. It's less bizarre than the slightly better Stranger than Fiction and The Devil's Playground and it is far, far better than Blood Will Tell.

It was the original 2000AD range that got me into BF, so looking forward to people's views on this.

Community Member
    Cracking little story.

well you got me. for some reason i didnt even think that range was still accessable. i heard a bunch on a bbc website a while ago. you needed realplayer to listen. they were good.

I definitely preferred the older 2000AD series (I think I'm in the minority because liked the few Strontium Dog stories with Simon Pegg more than the Dredd ones), but the Crime Chronicles are good, and Double Zero is a really good choice for The Listeners offer.

It would be nice to see this increase interest in the series enough for BF to justify making more.

Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eldteryn View Post
    I think I'm in the minority because liked the few Strontium Dog stories with Simon Pegg more than the Dredd ones
    Well I agree for a start. Not that the Dredds were bad but the two (plus 1) Stront titles were stupendous.

I picked this one up on CD a couple of months ago, and I think it's a pretty strong entry in the range. The only other Crime Chronicle I've listened to is "Stranger Than Fiction", and I have to say that I enjoyed "Double Zero" considerably more than that one.
    To read my latest works of fiction & non fiction visit my blog at http://clearersky.wordpress.com/

Community Member
    For what its worth, id love to see the unavailable stories repacked and some new stories!

Community Member
    Well I got half the painting done.

This felt a lot more talky than I remember yet it kept my attention far better than most of the Companion Chronicles did.

Lou was very believable in the role, really sold the part - even if she did slip into Irish once or twice.

I guess my main reservation about the story was that it was a bit ordinary. If you are familiar with Dredd, and Anderson in particular, was that it was a bit ordinary. A bit run of the mill. Seen it all before, a number of times. They even reference Owen Khrysler.

Even the Double Zero thing didn't add anything to the storyline although provided some nice character moments.

Community Member
    Hope you folks enjoy the story, I had a great time writing it...

Community Member
    It would be nice to get some authors participating in these threads.

Hello James,

How familiar were you with the Dreddverse? You reference the Judge Child which is from 1980 did you have a working knowledge before starting 2000ad audios?

I honestly didn't know what was going to happen at the end of this - did you always have the intention of going against the outcome of the Judge Child Quest (and sequels) to keep it fresh?

At one point I thought we were going down further the route of future international espionage and you touched on this with the excellent Jihad (and to an extent the equally entertaining Grud is Dead) - do you find this a rich seam of potential storylines which are automatically imbued with tension and action?

Given Dredd's usual reticence in talking - is he a particularly tricky character to write for in audio?

Similarly, I thought you captured Anderson really well. How difficult was it to find the right line in how to realise here PSi abilities on audio, because obviously you could go mad with that.

Hope you don't mind these questions.

Community Member
    I enjoyed doing sound and music for this one too (I really ought to check in here more often).

Brilliant story, James is a great writer on both Judge Dredd & his two Doctor Who stories, more please.
    "You dont understand the implications, I'm not a human being, I'm a Timelord I walk in Eternity".