No account? Register here

Thread: New Mervyn?

New Mervyn?

Anything shaking in the world of Mervyn Stone?

Community Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by uirdhein View Post
    Anything shaking in the world of Mervyn Stone?

Not at the moment, I'm afraid.

BUT

By strange coincidence, I will have completed rewrites on my thriller this very day (book out later this year). Once I've given myself a breather for a few weeks I'll be returning to the world of Mervyn. Promise!

Quote Originally Posted by nevfountain View Post
    Not at the moment, I'm afraid.

BUT

By strange coincidence, I will have completed rewrites on my thriller this very day (book out later this year). Once I've given myself a breather for a few weeks I'll be returning to the world of Mervyn. Promise!
    I'm actually curious as to what direction you could take Mervyn. We've had a mystery at a convention, a commentary recording, a series revival, a documentary, and a memorabilia shop. Maybe a writer's retreat next, with poor old Mervyn trying to get the creative juices flowing again, only for the ol' krovvy to flow instead from a fellow writer (sorry, I've read A Clockwork Orange, and couldn't resist). Or maybe not: The Unwritten comic series did do something like that. Though it wasn't a murder mystery: you know who did it, and who they were framing. There was a very different mystery going on...

A thriller, eh? Are we talking a straight-up thriller, or is there any touches of comedy? It seems to be your trademark to mix seriousness with snark, as The Kingmaker and Mervyn Stone especially showed.

Looking forward to listening to Peri and the Piscon Paradox, and The Curious Incident of the Doctor in the Night-Time. The latter is particularly intriguing because I myself am autistic, or at least have Asperger's Syndrome.

And speaking of writing, Nev, I've finished a rough draft of one of my own books, that I have been obsessively rewriting and revising over God knows how long. I'm doing some polishing while I wait for my test-reader to get back to me, as well as thinking about my next book. Actually, it's a science fiction satire, so I might be channelling you, especially so soon after re-listening to Omega, which, incidentally, improved on second listening. I hope you're pleased with that, Nev.
    *insert pithy comment here*

Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuatermassAU View Post
    I'm actually curious as to what direction you could take Mervyn. We've had a mystery at a convention, a commentary recording, a series revival, a documentary, and a memorabilia shop. Maybe a writer's retreat next, with poor old Mervyn trying to get the creative juices flowing again, only for the ol' krovvy to flow instead from a fellow writer (sorry, I've read A Clockwork Orange, and couldn't resist). Or maybe not: The Unwritten comic series did do something like that. Though it wasn't a murder mystery: you know who did it, and who they were framing. There was a very different mystery going on…
    I have several directions to go, including an inter-active 'Vixperience' (very topical), but some will be moving into different subjects rather than settings.

A thriller, eh? Are we talking a straight-up thriller, or is there any touches of comedy? It seems to be your trademark to mix seriousness with snark, as The Kingmaker and Mervyn Stone especially showed.
    It's a serious thriller, with the odd funny line. The publishers are very excited by it. Hopefully the readers will be, too.

Looking forward to listening to Peri and the Piscon Paradox, and The Curious Incident of the Doctor in the Night-Time. The latter is particularly intriguing because I myself am autistic, or at least have Asperger's Syndrome.
    I hope you like them. They both seem very popular with listeners. 'Curious Incident' does make an impression on people, both Asperger's sufferers and non-aspergers alike.

And speaking of writing, Nev, I've finished a rough draft of one of my own books, that I have been obsessively rewriting and revising over God knows how long. I'm doing some polishing while I wait for my test-reader to get back to me, as well as thinking about my next book. Actually, it's a science fiction satire, so I might be channelling you, especially so soon after re-listening to Omega, which, incidentally, improved on second listening. I hope you're pleased with that, Nev.
    Well good luck with that! 'Omega' is my earliest thing (eleven years old!) so it's a museum piece from my perspective. I re-listened to it the other day, and enjoyed lots of bits of it. I felt it a bit slow in places, but I still hold a lot of affection for it.
    Last edited by nevfountain; 17th February 2015 at 16:52.

I have several directions to go, including an inter-active 'Vixperience' (very topical), but some will be moving into different subjects rather than settings.
    'Vixperience'? Is that like a tour, or an exhibition? Either way, intriguing. I'm glad you put thought into this, because I honestly didn't know what direction you could go into. Then again, you've actually worked in the industry. I may be a writer, but I've never worked in the industry, particularly in radio and TV.

Holy sh**, I just realised. By Vixperience, do you mean that thing Nicholas Everett mentioned in Geek Tragedy?

I hope you like them. They both seem very popular with listeners. 'Curious Incident' does make an impression on people, both Asperger's sufferers and non-aspergers alike.
    I wouldn't say that I'm a sufferer, but I do hope to enjoy these two.

Well good luck with that! 'Omega' is my earliest thing (eleven years old!) so it's a museum piece from my perspective. I re-listened to it the other day, and enjoyed lots of bits of it. I felt it a bit slow in places, but I still hold a lot of affection for it.
    I think part of the reason that I enjoyed Omega better this time around was that I spotted the themes it shared with The Kingmaker, that of reputation, history, and the line between a hero and a monster.

And for a museum piece, it has some extraordinarily funny dialogue. Like when Daland loftily proclaims that no appliance could do his work, and Sentia retorts that a fridge could do it (you can fit a lot of ham into a fridge). Or the Doctor's encounter with the 'electronic mugging machine'. And Omega (the character) is capable of being subtle. Omega, one of the Mr Shouty finalists in the Doctor Who division, subtle.

And thanks for the wish of good luck. I'll need it...

I'm just pleased you've got stuff coming out. Much thanks, and to your better half too
    Last edited by uirdhein; 19th February 2015 at 02:24.

Community Member
    Holy sh**, I just realised. By Vixperience, do you mean that thing Nicholas Everett mentioned in Geek Tragedy?

Indeed! One plans ahead!

Indeed! One plans ahead!
    You cunning, magnificent bast***!

I'm pretty amused to see Mervyn being given higher billing on the main page than the just-announced Torchwood; I'll take this as a positive sign for the future and not a mildly humorous oversight.

Tis a pity Mervyn isn't in The Worlds of Big Finish!