Follow us on SoundCloud: DarkShadowsBFP

Follow us on Instagram: DarkShadowsBFP

Oh my goodness that was charming!

When does episode 2 come out?

Quote Originally Posted by Srandom View Post
    Oh my goodness that was charming!

When does episode 2 come out?
    Spoilers, further warning ...

My thoughts precisely. Really interesting and enjoyable first episode - I can't help but feel wretched for Maggie, now known as 'Mad Maggie'. The poor lovely - I've a feeling she'll prove herself to be the sanest person in Collingsport in a few episodes time.
    And there's a real sense of anticipation for meeting David, his name whispered in hushed tones, in the spooky old house on the hill.
    Great also that Isiah is now a local eccentric, and that Susan is ... well, what is she?

Intriguing, nicely layered (it's good that we haven't met everyone yet) and with a nice new theme arrangement (loved the heartbeat). So, about episode 2 ... ?

Community Member
    Good start - beginning, traditionally, with someone arriving by train (like the TV show, and BF's first DS audio). A lot of characters, some things hinted at and a brief glimpse of mysteries to be explored, a recognition of the past and a wide open future. And just when you think it's all introduction... BAM!

A good start for the new series. A lot of good little character introductions, can't wait to hear from the rest of the cast. Intrigued how the Griffins how will play a part in the series, and Ursula Burton's cameo completely surprised. As did Melody's death, I thought she'd last a bit longer, but given this is Dark Shadows, death isn't the end.
    Fourth Doctor : "There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes."

I had a great time listening to this in my classroom during lunch, sipping clam chowder with the lights turned off.

A shame about Melody, yes.

I'm surprised there's anyone in Collinsport who doubts the existence of the supernatural. Who, exactly, is Maggie trying to convince after the events of the past 15 years (especially October of 1973)?

Great ominous tone set by all of the "Don't stay out too late" and "Leave now" warnings, as well as the mystery of the Collinsport mining operations...

No regrets at all on picking up this subscription; out of the five or six Dark Shadows stories I've listened to so far, it's already #2 on my list.
    Last edited by Pavlat; 9th January 2015 at 18:43.
    The first man ever to have been retweeted by both Phil Morris and Ian Levine. Not to mention dissed by Dorney.

A lot going on here, I was so certain the scene with Ed talking to Susan was going to be him talking to himself that the revelation that Ursula Burton is back was a real surprise. So glad this series is building on the past full cast plays and that the Griffins are becoming a bigger part of the series lore. I'd love an Ed Griffin narrated audio book, by the way, touching on Collins Industries, the fishermen in the village, and Bill Malloy and all that stuff from the early days we never hear much of once the blood starts flowing.

The theme tune may grow on me, it's so different that it's hard to judge it, but I love the heartbeat already. Much goodness on display.

Love it.
    You can find me on Twitter @JolyonTuck

Or read my theatrical and Doctor Who reviews at http://www.thejollylion.com

Talk about surprises... Susan is literally the last person I expected to hear in Bloodlust, I about literally fell out of my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlat View Post
    I'm surprised there's anyone in Collinsport who doubts the existence of the supernatural. Who, exactly, is Maggie trying to convince after the events of the past 15 years (especially October of 1973)?
    Maybe Maggie's struggling to convince everyone what to do about it, because I don't imagine she'd have trouble convincing people of Collinsport that the supernatural is afoot OR that the Collinses are right in the middle of it somehow. Maybe what she's run into is more like, "Why don't we run the Collinses out of town?" "Um, I'm not sure if we can do that since the Collins family owns the whole town... Is there a backup plan?"

Also it's not the really sheriff's job to deal with the supernatural (just ask 'em), no matter how many of their predecessors have been eaten by blobs or turned into zombies, so the responsibility probably does default to concerned citizens?
    "Long stories are often the most interesting ones" - Professor T. Elliot Stokes

Great start to what will hopefully continue to be a great episodic adventure.

Not yet a fan of the opening theme except for the heartbeat. The theremin / electronic sound is close to Star Trek but the heart beat harkens back to the first showings of the Barnabas' portrait with glowing eyes and drawing Willie Loomis in for his darker fate.

It will be interested to see how this progresses. Willie is married to Jessica in the 1991 Return to Collinwood and living in the Old House which Elizabeth bequeaths to him in her will. (Since it's not a Big Finish production, there is no need to really meet the same timelines but we will see! Of course by then Maggie works at Windcliff and is overseeing Sebastion Shaw... so I'm sure evey plot can't be connected.

Interesting Susan is 'returned' since she was bitten by Barnabas, sent to her death by David, had Quentin declare his love for her and finally shot by Trask and taken to the dark realm by Serif. Will she have 'death amnesia' or spill the beans?

tick tock heart beat beat tick tock...

Bloodlust. SPOILERS AHEAD.

Well, it didn't totally suck as I expected it to. I thought the last two Big Finish Dark Shadows productions were so bad I suspected there might have been a competition to see who could turn out the WORST possible Dark Shadows audio. I like Cousin Barnabas's review on collinsporthistoricalsociety.com but disagree that the two new comers were played too broadly, I thought they were just fine as they were. But I found the death shocking as well, even though the title makes it pretty obvious that death is going to play a big part of this production. Personally I'm hoping that they conveniently "forget" the Count Petofi reference at the end of Kingdom of the Dead and go for something more original. The mining idea is unexpected and possibly as silly as I expected this series to be, the Collins were always a fishing business family. Finally, Kathryn Leigh Scott gave a great performance as she always does and along with Lara Parker is one of my two favorite Dark Shadows actresses. Also, glad that the town wasn't as abandoned as previous productions made it sound, the Blue Whale packed with customers again as was first seen in the second episode in the 60s, and I was surprised and happy that they brought back Susan, even if she is dead, and Kate Ripperton. Isn't she the insane woman who is Eve reincarnated? Looking forward to the next part, much to my surprise.
    London's Burning' Rosie Faye: "He ain't no Creature, he's an American!" Hahaha!

Community Member
    Just finished the 1st ep. It was awesome, can't wait for the next.

just south of Collinsport, Maine, USA (truth!)
    SPOILERS.
    I absolutely loved it! It fulfilled all my expectations and then some. How many times have I lamented Susan's death at the end of KOTD and wished that she could be back somehow (knowing full well that it was always possible, being what DS is of course.) Then, to see that Ursula Burton was directing, but NOT in the cast was very sad for me! So, Susan completely caught me off guard and had me cheering out loud!

I can't wait to see what's ahead. Loved all the new characters that we've got so far (and I agree that it was really smart to bring in a few at a time). Having Maggie, Trask, Ed, Jess, and Susan as anchors for the continuation of KOTD was really effective. Maggie is still my favorite DS character (in addition to Carolyn). I'm so glad she's front and center....and like everyone, I was somewhat disappointed that Carolyn wasn't going to be a part of Bloodlust...but now, after Susan's surprise return, I'm not so sure of that. It may be that Nancy Barrett truly wasn't available (totally my assumption, because I know she's a hard person to nail down due to family commitments) but, at least now I'm sure that even if Nancy/Carolyn doesn't cameo, Alec Newman/David will give us all we need to know about Carolyn's absence. I have total faith in the producers because they consistently make me happy. Shocking ending for poor Melody--but I don't think we've heard the last from her! And the mining references really creep me out and I can't wait to see where THAT goes! Loved Frankie, Kate, Jackie and Cody too...is Benjamin Franklin a relative of Mrs. Franklin from RtC? Hmmm.

Nice, nice job on the creative flourishes with the theme tune. Just close enough to be respectful, but different enough to be innovative and new!

Wonderful debut all around, Joe, David, Will and ALL involved. I don't want to wish the weekend away but Tuesday can't get here fast enough.

Oh...the heartbeat...I can't believe I didn't hear it at all! I went back and re-listened to the opening and closing themes and I must be missing something. Where is it? I want to go back and replay that part.

Jspielberg, not quite sure why you disliked the last two audios so much, but hey, you're entitled. No--Kate is not the one who Danielle Roget inhabited...I believe that was Emma Finney--Simon Kent's girlfriend.
    Last edited by drfiji; 10th January 2015 at 05:18. Reason: heartbeat question
    ~Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by drfiji View Post
    --Kate is not the one who Danielle Roget inhabited...I believe that was Emma Finney--Simon Kent's girlfriend.
    That's right - although Simon was the actor's name, Alfie Chapman was the character. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by drfiji View Post
    , I was somewhat disappointed that Carolyn wasn't going to be a part of Bloodlust...but now, after Susan's surprise return, I'm not so sure of that. It may be that Nancy Barrett truly wasn't available (totally my assumption, because I know she's a hard person to nail down due to family commitments) but, at least now I'm sure that even if Nancy/Carolyn doesn't cameo, Alec Newman/David will give us all we need to know about Carolyn's absence. I have total faith in the producers because they consistently make me happy.
    SPOILERS

I wouldn't pin too many hopes on Nancy/Carolyn appearing. The Susan trick was reasonably easy to pull off since Ursula's name was already attached to the project. She was in the studios directing and if any of the actors mentioned seeing her then fans wouldn't be surprised. But to do something similar with Nancy would be harder - they'd be reliant on neither her nor any of the other actors accidentally mentioning it and blowing the surprise that she'd been in the studio. And Nancy's name is a good one to use as a pre-release advertising draw.

It's be a shame if people (*) were disappointed by what Bloodlust isn't rather than enjoying what it is.

(*) I don't mean you, Tracy, you're never disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by jspielberg View Post
    I like Cousin Barnabas's review on collinsporthistoricalsociety.com but disagree that the two new comers were played too broadly, I thought they were just fine as they were.
    I really liked that review too, but I thought the performances of Mike and Melody were pitched perfectly. They were so clearly our spunky new leads.

Double post somehow
    Last edited by Bobod; 12th January 2015 at 14:36.

not sure if anyone else will wants this but just incase...

assuming that the rest of the series artwork will follow a similar style i did a little bit of reworking so that i have similar artwork for snowflake

put it here just in case anyone else wants it.....and hope i am not annoying the artist by doing this

ght.jpg

That's really a bit of beautiful, Muckypup.

Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobod View Post
    SPOILERS

I wouldn't pin too many hopes on Nancy/Carolyn appearing. The Susan trick was reasonably easy to pull off since Ursula's name was already attached to the project. She was in the studios directing and if any of the actors mentioned seeing her then fans wouldn't be surprised. But to do something similar with Nancy would be harder - they'd be reliant on neither her nor any of the other actors accidentally mentioning it and blowing the surprise that she'd been in the studio. And Nancy's name is a good one to use as a pre-release advertising draw.

It's be a shame if people (*) were disappointed by what Bloodlust isn't rather than enjoying what it is.

(*) I don't mean you, Tracy, you're never disappointed.
    For me, Nancy Barret's annoucement voice over over suggests to me, at any rate, that Caroyln will appear in this tale, but in what form or how we'll just have to see! David, why are you alone in Collinwood?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast