No account? Register here

The Listeners #14: Doctor Who The Companion Chronicles: The Time Vampire

Morning all. I see at least one person guessed this one right. It is indeed The Time Vampire, in advance of July's Louise Jameson-co-written Fourth Doctor story The Abandoned.

Discuss away...

Called it! It's evening at the moment actually.
    Humans are not otters!

Time is an illusion. Evening time doubly so.

Community Member
    I listened to Time Vampire twice and didn't get it. I usually like timey-wimey but this was just too complex. Maybe if I'd listened a 3rd time taking notes and trying to draw a diagram I could have made sense of it, but it was too much effort. It was a shame as the first 2 parts of the trolgy were so good, particularly the Catalyst.

It was written and directed by Nigel fairs and I think this is one instance where having the same person writing & directing worked to the story's disadvantage. As he had written it, Nigel obviously knew what the story was about and perhaps was too close to it to see that it was hard to understand. Lisa Bowerman or Ken Bentley coming to it cold might have been a better option for director.

Maybe everyone else understood it and I am just thick, but I really didn't get it.

As for the Belfast accent .... it was just a little too much (speaking as someone who grew up just outside Belfast and still works there). It might have sounded convincing to someone not from Norn Iron but it made me cringe. By contrast, John Leeson's Dutch accent sounded fine to me, but maybe a Dutch person would take a different view?
    Last edited by lidar; 1st July 2014 at 09:44.

It seems Nigel Fairs, as great a writer as he is, finds is difficult with the later Leela CCs to make the plot followable. Catayst and Empathy Games fine, but Time Vampire and The Child need repeat listens just to make sense of the plot. That's fine with big complicated stories like Children Of Seth or Peri And The Piscon Paradox, but a one hour story needs to be more cohesive.

Still, give it a go, it's not going to cost you much. There's still an outrageous accent from Louise Jameson to spit your tea out at!
    Humans are not otters!

Community Member
    I'm so glad they made a story which explained why the doctor built a second version of k9

By the way, this is The Listeners #14, not #13.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMcgann View Post
    By the way, this is The Listeners #14, not #13.
    Thanks for that. Fixed.

Heard this in the CC sale earlier- excellent story! Yes, complex and best when listened to without distractions a few times, but well worth it! My fav of Leela's CC's so far.

Community Member
    Jameson was quite amazing in it, I thought.

I heard this one before the other Leela CCs, and had no difficulty with the overall story arc. The plot takes a few listens to sink in (like many of the best BF stories IMO) and requires the listener's full attention, but it's well worth it. A beautiful culmination of Leela's overall character arc, which only Nigel Fairs could have written. Louise Jameson really puts her heart and soul into the piece, and the music complements it perfectly. This is an absolute must for anyone imaginatively invested in this character (which must be most of us on here).

Community Member
    Listened to it twice, and agree, it’s too complicated to follow for me; as a casual listener, and occasional BF buyer rather than a hardened regular (who came to this through the price reduction) it was off-putting to begin with, as it obviously belonged in some arc or story setting with which I was not familiar, and only by coming here have I found it was the last part of a trilogy.

Therefore not being familiar with what came before, and not being aware of people’s motivations, it left me confused and cold.

Generally the performances seemed good - although I too had a hard time with the Belfast accent coming and going.

On the point made above of the director being too close to the material, and not making things clearer, this, I’m afraid I find to be BF’s biggest weakness. I’ve written elsewhere about the frustration of listening to the opening sequence of the first “Countermeasures” story, and being completely at sea with what was going on, or what the soundscape was meant to be bringing to the party. It must have meant something to the people making it, but I wonder if they venture outside the circle of die-hards and test this stuff on mortals who may not be steeped in every aspect of the BF universe?

I also continue to be baffled by the time given over to playing opening and closing theme music, yet not providing in-audio episode titles and credits. I listen on an iPod to most of the audios I have, and not only is it a pain to have to fish it out of a pocket to find out where I am in a story, the limited info that is on the files is often frustrating. Why don’t BF have a continuity announcer type voice-over of story name, episode and author, and actor and production details at the end of an episode, like you would on radio? It may have been the case that that is what DW episodes sounded like when off-airs were circulated on cassette, but seriously, it would improve things for me if credit was given where credits were due!

Overall, while a generally slick production, because of the confusing story I’d not recommend this, nor would I go looking for the other two.

Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jock123 View Post
    because of the confusing story I’d not recommend this, nor would I go looking for the other two.
    The other two are a lot better, particularly The Catalyst. Don't let this one put you off.