No account? Register here

The Listeners #12: Doctor Who: Patient Zero

This month in The Listeners: The Sixth Doctor and Charley's relationship starts to fray. Plus: Daleks!
    http://bigfinish.com/releases/v/patient-zero-290

Let us know your thoughts on Patient Zero below.

Paul

I bought this as part of the Charley/sixth doctor offer a few weeks ago , well I say I bought it , actually my mum ordered it along with paper cuts and blue forgotten planet for my birthday . Sadly this means I already have this listeners and cant really listen to it or put it on my ipod because that would spoil a birthday present.
    Oh well , I am really looking forward to hearing it after my birthday, it looks excellent and I hope that others who haven't got it yet , or haven't heard it yet enjoy it

Community Member
    I liked this story. The Daleks and the Viyrans are both cool villains, and Mila and that guy who has hundreds of bodies are both interesting concepts. One thing I always wondered was how long Six was travelling while Charley was in that coma. Did he go on other adventures and travel with new companions while Charley was asleep (could Charley even have been asleep in the other room during other Big Finish stories), or was he travelling alone, devoting all of his energy to finding a cure for Charley?

It could be that the Jamie trilogy
    Spoiler: 
    in the land of Fiction

took place for the Doctor during this time, as for those four adventures, he experienced one after the other in quick succession.

Spoilers Ahead!

I really enjoyed this story (as well as most of the Charley/6 arc). Great ideas with the Viyrans and 'their mission'. The Daleks, too were handled very well and differently to how they have been portrayed in the past. Instead of exterminating everywhere, they tread lightly because of the time-controler. Interesting change, though in practice, there are a lot of hostage and threatening scenes that we have also grown accustomed to. The exchange between it and the Doctor at the end especially merits special mention for great plotting and dialogue! Charley and her disease is an odd set, but totally worth it (here and in 'Blue Forgotten Planet'). Also, I think that the juxtaposition of the future companion Charley and the subsequent adventures with Jamie from the past is a stroke of genius for the sixth Doctor. All in all, very worthwhile if you have followed the arc or as a superb stand alone.

Community Member
    Hello again. I found listening to Mission of the Viyrans first helped a lot with this story. Peri's frightening ordeal on Gavista Social really gives the listener a sense of the importance of the Viyran's mission.

Patient Zero has a great deal going on. We have the Guardians of Amethyst Station: an intriguing joined up entity facing the machinations of Daleks who are, for Daleks, treading very carefully.

The Doctor's relationship with Charley has a completely different dynamic to a normal Dr./Comp. relationship. Charley herself, has her own personal tribulation from an unusual source. Then we have the mysterious Viyrans who have quite an impact even if you have heard their encounter with Peri.

The story combines all these elements with great skill and creates a memorable yarn. Doctor Who at its most enjoyable, one to listen to more than once. PS Loved the eerie station sound effect.

Mila just reminds me of some Doctor Who fans I know. Listening to her just makes me go "Yep, that's totally how so and so would react if they'd ever become a companion." Given that these people annoy me at the best of times.

As for the Viryans, I guess they're making up for the fact they have no voices by being really stompy. Apart from the stompyness I really like them as villians, they're equals to the Daleks in some respects. Reforming after being shot into smithereens is a handy tip when fighting Daleks.

Last but certainly the best, the Dalek Time Controller. Doesn't need explaining. He just is.

“Sehen, lessen und verstehen Sie meine Bilderwelten im Zusammenhang mit ihrer jeweiligen Entstehungszeit.”
    –Wolfgang Weingart

http://redwryvenart.tumblr.com For Big Finish artwork and other Whovian shenanigans.

This is a phenomenal story with plenty of mystery & intrigue, Well acted by the small cast which features a excellent cliffhanger at it's climax, Big Finish Doctor Who at it's very best.

10/10
    "You dont understand the implications, I'm not a human being, I'm a Timelord I walk in Eternity".

Community Member
    There was a great deal that I loved about this story but one of the biggest things that I enjoyed was the evolution of the Dalek Time Controller. The Doctor's need to gloat is something that we typically see in his adversaries. Commonly we see it backfire and so it does also for the Doctor when he accidently expands the Dalek Time Controller's thinking. In a way that action can be seen as a prequel action for the Dalek timeline manipulation found in the Dark Eyes series.

this is one of my favorite 6th doctor stories

a steal at this price, anyone not got it get it.....it may not be to everyones taste but it is interesting and the vyrons are great foil for the daleks.

oh and the cover is brilliant too.

It was going to be called Victory Of The Daleks, but that name went to a TV story the following year (similar to the Master being changed to Stream in The Hollows Of Time when the BBC used him in The End Of Time).

Community Member
    This was definitely a great one. Unique (especially for a Dalek story) and dripping with atmosphere. Works well as both a standalone and the start of an arc. I need to listen to this again!

Community Member
    I received the CDs for Patient Zero and Paper Cuts today. The notice that came with it said Blue Forgotten Planet is currently out of stock, probably due to the recent sale. At least I know the CD itself was not forgotten.

As for Patient Zero itself, the two things that come to mind are the Dalek Time Controller and the other companion. Somehow the "Dalek Time Controller" makes even the "Time Lords" seem modest by comparison. He uses his knowledge of the delicate structure of the time lines to do even more devastating damage. This is his introduction and he proves to be a great problem for the Doctor in the future. The other companion proves that no matter how much is known about the Doctor there are always secrets yet to be revealed.
    Last edited by swlucky; 8th May 2014 at 21:16.