No account? Register here

The Listeners #10: Doctor Who: Year of the Pig

This month in The Listeners: the Big Finish debuts of Matthew Sweet and Maureen O'Brien!
    http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/year-of-the-pig-256

Let us know your thoughts on Year of the Pig below.

Paul

Goodie - I'll be buying this one, nice to get a main range title!
    See my Doctor Who blog Red Rocket Rising!

Highest Science reviewed December 2014
    Follow me on twitter@helmstone
    Creative tools for writers...
    Opening the Creativity Diamond available on Amazon now!

This was one story I just couldn't get into & enjoy, Maybe it's my hormones but I didn't have a connection to the adventure.

I thought it a dull & boring audio, There are far better Sixth Doctor & Peri adventures out their better than this release.

3/10
    Last edited by Timelord007; 3rd March 2014 at 17:54.
    "You dont understand the implications, I'm not a human being, I'm a Timelord I walk in Eternity".

Year of the Pig was actually the very first Big Finish audio I bought.

It's something of an odd little story, although one that I find enjoyable if I'm in the right mood. It would certainly have benefitted from being split into four parts, as the two 70+ minute episodes do start to drag. However there's some lovely dialogue throughout, coupled with some excellent performances and a refreshingly relaxed tone.

Just make sure you don't listen to this one if you're on a diet.

7/10

Community Member
    I really struggled with this and tried it twice. I loved Matthew Sweet's subsequent 7th Doctor audio about The Celestial Toymaker, a real classic, but this one seemed to be trying far too hard to be clever. Lots of characters saying witty lines, but it was hard to care for any of them.

It was only when the characters got out and about on CD2 that it started to pick up, but it took soooooo long to get to this. Nothing much happens for a very long time.

I remember that this was released around the same time as Gary Russell leaving and Nick Briggs taking over. When Nick Briggs said that one of his first aims was to keep episodes down to 25 minutes, it was this release I had in mind!

Matthew Sweet is a good egg, loved his other audio and love his documentaries, and of course Doctor Who needs to be experimental at times. But, for me at least, this experiment failed to engage.

Andrew Wooding

Proustian Who, who could ever have expected that? The 'Oi, Marcel' scene always cracks me up. I find this story an absolute joy. The language is absolutely sumptuous, and the fragile pre-war atmosphere really poignant.

Incidentally Ostende continued to function as a holiday resort of sorts during the war, providing brief seaside breaks from the 'slimy feculence' of the trenches for German troops on the Flanders front. The town was run by the naval Marinekorps Flandern and fortified against a possible amphibious landing, so it wasn't possible to go far into the water due to barbed wire and sea mines. Here's a photo which will be appearing in my (well our, I am merely co-author) book about the Royal Saxon Army in Flanders:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...stSept1917.jpg

One of our unpublished eyewitness accounts describes it as follows (at Christmas 1915): "The grandeur of the place is undeniably unique. Almost everything is made of marble.The hotels, which are right on the beach, all stand empty now – though in peacetime there was real splendour here. Now barbed wire obstacles run along the beach, and German artillery stands on the beachside road. It looks prettiest in the kursaal, formerly the exclusive haunt of American millionaires. It is all furnished with fairytale magnificence, but now lanterns stand in the splendid rooms and German soldiers sleep on the ornate carpets. Rifles hang on the famous organ in the concert hall and hob-nailed boots tread all over the marble tiles."

Community Member
    Pigs for a villain well you don't think that every day

I remember finding this odd but enjoyable; certainly unlike anything else. I think I will put this on my relisten schedule.

I was about to order this last night then realised it sits in the middle of a range of titles I don't own and comes with a December bonus. I have decided to decline the opportunity to pick it up at the moment but will have a look at the discussion anyhow against the time I do buy it!
    See my Doctor Who blog Red Rocket Rising!

Highest Science reviewed December 2014
    Follow me on twitter@helmstone
    Creative tools for writers...
    Opening the Creativity Diamond available on Amazon now!

Interesting story, but a flawed one. Great atmosphere and fun throughout, I say without hesitation. The negatives that come to mind take more thought; the story does seem to drag in the second half, and while I was listening (on a particularly busy day atwork, so not without distraction) the plot was somewhat confusing/hard to follow and the actor who voiced the main pig sounded a bit like Colin Baker at times. I will have to give it another listen under better circumstances though!

Community Member
    I loved it! An odd little story but sumptuously acted. Strange yet delightful!! Worth a listen, especially at this price! More atmospheric than plot-driven, but still enjoyable ;-)

Community Member
    Hello again. That'll do pig, that'll do. What!? This is the weirdest Big Finish story I have ever heard. Gourmand pigs, raining cattle, some lovely dialogue and a weird little story that left me very puzzled. Great ideas that didn't seem to go anywhere. Even after reading the plot summary on one of Dr. Who websites I'm still none the wiser! Having said this I loved the performances. This story really sticks in the mind too.

I was left feeling the same as I was in 1989 after watching Ghostlight...
    I enjoyed the experience but hadn't the foggiest exactly what had happened! Perhaps the story was too clever for me!

Year of the Pig was the first release in my first subscription (through Alien Entertainment-not BF direct) and I was very disappointed. I have listened to it a second time and I didn't enjoy it any more than I did the first time. It made me consider not subscribing - although I am glad I stuck around. This was an odd story with potential that went nowhere (for me). I probably won't listen to this again, however it is by far not the worst story BF has ever done.

Community Member
    Odd little curio this. Definitely suffered from only being two parts. Would have been easy to fashion two little cliffhangers.

Thought the Inspector got off a little lightly for trying to steam Peri to death. In fact I found a lot of his actions to be quite confusing. Liked the character though.
    Having recently listened to Antidote to Oblivion, its clear this doctor likes to laze about on the beach.

Community Member
    Finally got round to listening to it...did anyone else spot the Two Ronnie's gag?