No account? Register here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Eighth Doctor Story Chronological Order

Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me with this problem. What is the chronological order for the Eight Doctor Stories?

I noticed that Blood of the Daleks was recorded in 2006, but the latest story on the "main range" was recorded in 2011.

So far I've listened to:
    Storm Warning - Faith Stealer

Do I keep going through the main range then hop onto Blood of the Daleks? Or do I need to listen to Blood of the Daleks somewhere in the middle? After that's all done then I can listen to Dark Eyes?

Thanks

Community Member
    The accepted order seems to be:

Company of Friends (main range 123)
    The Mary Shelley trilogy (main range 153-155)
    Shada (2003 special release)

All the other main range audios from Storm Warning to Girl That Never Was

Then the 8th Doctor range from Blood of the Daleks to Death in Blackpool
    The Earthly Child (main range bonus release from 2009)
    Situation Vacant to Relative Dimensions
    The Four Doctors (main range bonus release from 2011)
    Prisoner of the Sun to To The Death
    Finally the Dark Eyes boxes

Ummm... okay so basicaly I'm already screwed :P

Company of friends takes place before Storm Warning?
    Last edited by Hackmodford; 18th February 2014 at 16:00.

^ David has it. (Although I hadn't give much thought to where Shada or The Four Doctors would be placed.)

Would you say that due to revelations in Terror Firma, it might be best to hold off on the Mary Shelley stuff until after the Charley/8 sequence? (I say this not having actually heard the Mary Shelley stories yet, but I gather they reference characters from Terror Firma.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hackmodford View Post
    Ummm... okay so basicaly I'm already screwed :P

Company of friends takes place before Storm Warning?
    If I recall, Storm Warning opens with the Doctor reflecting on time spent with Mary Shelley . . . so the stories with Mary Shelley would seem to be slotted before Storm Warning. (And the final episode of "A Company of Friends" features the Doctor meeting Mary Shelley, leading into that trilogy.)

But I don't think it really matters where you stick that trilogy. And as I said above, I might actually wait on it because of some stuff from Terror Firma.

I really wish Big Finish would just list these in chronological order, it's very confusing for new customers like me. I would have totally missed the "bonus" episodes.

I really wish Big Finish would just list these in chronological order, it's very confusing for new customers like me. I would have totally missed the "bonus" episodes.
    I frequently consult this master list.

See my blog

Community Member
    You don't have to wait. Nothing in the Mary Shelley trilogy spoils Terra Firma. The trilogy references two other companions the Doctor was travelling with in his pre-Charley days. The existence of said companions was first revealed in Terra Firma. But there are no spoilers either way.

Shada is placed after the trilogy because the Doctor mentions Mary Shelley in it. (But it could come any time afterwards, even in the gap between the Charley and Lucie stories)

The Four Doctors is placed where it is because the Doctor was travelling alone in that story. It was released in the month between Relative Dimensions and Prisoners of the Sun and the Doctor was travelling alone between those two stories so it might as well fit there.

Community Member
    If we're going to be completist about it then there's also "Living Legend" (a DWM freebie) that comes after "Chimes of Midnight"

The Companion Chronicle "Solitaire" (featuring Charley) and the Destiny of the Doctor release "Enemy Aliens" which come before "Embrace the Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by conjob08 View Post
    See my blog
    A link to your blog would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by davidspofforth View Post
    You don't have to wait. Nothing in the Mary Shelley trilogy spoils Terra Firma. The trilogy references two other companions the Doctor was travelling with in his pre-Charley days. The existence of said companions was first revealed in Terra Firma. But there are no spoilers either way.
    Well, some might say you just spoiled it.

The revelation of previously unknown companions was a pretty big deal (that I didn't think would actually work, and was surprised that it did.) I suppose it's all in how you like your stories. I think release order is probably better here.

But then, I'm also someone who recommends reading the Narnia books in publication order, because I think it's cool to get to The Magician's Nephew and discover how the Lamp-post got there and why the Wardrobe was magical. I think reading The Magician's Nephew first ruins these surprises.

Oh, well. It's probably not that big of a deal. The identity of the Doctor's previous companions was spoiled for me, too, and I survived.

Yeah, kind of a bummer but it doesn't feel like a big deal to me...

Anyway, I listened to the Charley/8 sequence at the same time I was listening to the Lucie/8 sequence, skipping back and forth between the two. (Finished Lucie/8 first, if only because the whole Divergent Universe arc was a real slog. It got to the point where I didn't like any of the characters at all. Things got better when that arc was brought to an end, but the healing didn't really begin until Absolution, if you know what I mean.

Hey guys thanks for your help. I created my own blog post to simply list these all in chronological order. I'm only including true audio dramas. If you find anything wrong please let me know.
    http://hackmodford.wordpress.com/201...logical-order/

Community Member
    Hey guys thanks for your help. I created my own blog post to simply list these all in chronological order. I'm only including true audio dramas. If you find anything wrong please let me know.
    http://hackmodford.wordpress.com/201...logical-order/
    I realise that you're only including true audio dramas, but so you know, Solitaire is something of an exception. Despite being a Companion Chronicle, it's recorded as a full cast drama that happens to only have two characters. It's also bloody brilliant.

A link to your blog would be nice
    http://drwhocontinutyzone.blogspot.com

Yes your blog would have been great to know about.

For what it's worth, I don't think it really matters if you listen to the adventures of any one 8th Doctor companion before or after another.

There are throw-away references here and there, but there are no major events from any one companion storyline that come up in another companion storyline. And in some cases, the throw-away reference was released by Big Finish before the story it referenced. (In "Storm Warnings", the Doctor mentions Mary Shelley, but her first Big Finish appearance, "The Company of Friends", was published years later.)

So feel free to pick any major female companion (Charley, Lucie, Molly) to start with. Once you've picked a companion, listen to those adventures in order. But beyond that, it doesn't matter.

I do agree with this. It would be nice for Big Finish to provide some sort of reference to help new people get started. One shouldn't have to go to an external site to get this information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast