No account? Register here

The Listeners #9: Vienna: The Memory Box

This month in The Listeners: a chance to get to know Vienna Salvatori!
    http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-memory-box-843

Please discuss The Memory Box below. You never know, you might even catch the eye of Vienna herself...

Paul

Community Member
    This was one of my favourite releases of last year - just tremendously good fun and a perfect set-up and teaser for the upcoming boxset. I still haven't heard 'The Shadow Heart' but this stands alone with a great story and strong performances that I struggle to see how any fan of energetic fun sci-fi could fail to enjoy it.

If the the upcoming series keeps up the same standards, we're in for a real treat.

I've only listened to it once, when it first came out - been saving a relisten until the 3 new stories come along. But easily the highlight of last year's releases, a great story with lots of lovely twists and turns, good characters, very energetic as Jwab said, and of course an absolutely terrific central performance. Really want this series to run and run.

Quote Originally Posted by paul.spragg View Post
    You never know, you might even catch the eye of Vienna herself...
    Silly Spragg. You do know you're gonna die now you've said her name, right?

Does this mean I can have your job?

I'd skipped this for time and money reasons, but 2.99 is the perfect price for me to give this a go. Chase was always great in DS9 and I enjoyed The Shadow Heart, so looking forward to hearing this now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinggodzillak View Post
    Silly Spragg. You do know you're gonna die now you've said her name, right?

Does this mean I can have your job?
    Is she like a more lethal version of Candle Jack?

*sounds of a struggle that QuatermassAU manages to barely win*

Dammit, he does it every time!
    *insert pithy comment here*

Community Member
    I've never heard "The Shadow Heart" as it fell in a gap between two subscriptions. But I pre-ordered the Vienna box set anyway as, well, it was too cheap not to, really!
    I was expecting "Shadow Heart" and "Memory Box" to go on sale when the box set comes out, but having one as a 'Listeners' release was an unexpected gift. Thank you.

One question, is it better to wait until I do get "Shadow Heart" before listening to "Memory Box"?

Community Member
    I re-listened to this about a week ago. I bought it mostly because it was cheap and I was bored (a lethal combination), I wasn't expecting anything remarkable. I was very pleasantly surprised, it was far better than I had anticipated (and the twists kept me guessing right to end).

I can't wait for the first series (which I've already pre-ordered).

@ Davidspofforth: I don't think it is necessary to have heard The Shadow Heart before listening to The Memory Box, it is a self-contained story that fully introduces its characters. There is a reference to the Kylo (spelling?) trilogy but nothing spoilery.

Community Member
    We'll that was a lot of fun. Loved all the twists as each new set of memories is suddenly opened. Certainly whetted my appetite for the box set. Chase was superb in the role of ice-cold vixen with a hint of a soft centre. Has the potential to be as popular and successful as the Bernice Summerfield audios. (And yes, I would love to hear the two together!)

Needed a switch-up from Doctor Who, so I bought it Thursday. Fantastic. I've already listened to it twice. (Second time, knowing what's coming, some of the throwaway lines don't seem so throwaway after all.)

Just a good pile of fun. Great story, with a nice Philip K. Dick feel (as mentioned in the Extras). The sound design, as per Big Finish's usual high standards, was excellent.

A handful of Chase's line readings felt a bit off -- like "reading" more than acting. So there were a couple spots I was kind of pulled out of the story. But when the action was high and she was snarking off to everyone, it was perfect, and I suspect that Vienna will be a great addition to the Big Finish line.

Downside: the opening and closing theme had "My 1980s Casio Keyboard" written all over it. And yet the rest of the music throughout was perfect. I hope the theme has changed slightly for the box set. (EDIT: It has!)

And speaking of the box set, I guess I should go purchase that now.
    Last edited by Drew1365; 9th February 2014 at 00:58.

I listened to this last night. Until about halfway through I was thinking meh and feeling justified in not showing the series any prior interest, until it clicked with me and got very good. I mean, really good. I really want the series 1 box set now!

Reeling in with the 2.99 download of the pilot has worked on me. For that price, I'd definitely recommend fellow naysayers just give it a go. You can completely ignore the Doctor Who connection, this is just plain great sci-fi drama.

No, they're not paying me in CDs for me saying all this, but if you think I've earned it Big Finish (hint hint).

Community Member
    I really enjoyed this as well and agreed with vodkarose that the 2.99 offer was a no-brainer. I've only ever watched odd episodes of DS9 so didn't really know who Chase was but she certainly fit the role. I'm planning to get the series box set, not least because it's nicely affordable and I have to consider my finances pretty carefully these days.

I picked this up for 2.99, a great listen, great pace and fun story, I had to order the box set after listening to the very enjoyable pilot, I feel foolish as I need to pick up a hard copy of "The Memory Box" CD now, I'll add it as the Free CD next time I subscribe to the Doctor Who Main Range as it's something I must have in my collection.

Community Member
    Am I the only one who thinks that Chase sounds a bit like Peri?

Community Member anthonyzehetner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhodili View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that Chase sounds a bit like Peri?
    I hear it too at times and also a faint bit of Grace Holloway -- it's not just the American accent but the delivery and intonation

Same regional dialect?

Community Member
    Loved Jonathan Morris' 2000ad titles and a lot of his other stuff, but didn't realise this was him until afterwards in the extras. This started slow and generic, but really took off mid-way through. I'm probably going to need another listen. Did like the nods to aliona & whingeface plus the unexpected slithergee cameo and explanation.

The only thing that rubs me up the wrong way is this bad-ass persona of Vienna. It's tiresome. At least we have a slight reason for the 'no-one hears my name and lives' nonsense, but Morris appears to go out of his way to make sure she doesn't actually kill anyone for money. A contract killer is hard enough to win the sympathies of the audience, but we need more than the totally ruthless economic reasons for her actions. She needs some philosophy there aside from the big bucks. Hell - import it from Strontium Dog or something. Or have her putting up the big bravado talk for a reason other than sounding bad-ass.

In fairness this story may have had a little subtle element of this in. I've heard it once and was concentrating on the convoluted storyline. Need to listen to it again.

Considering I had next to no interest in this character after the Shadow Heart I might just give the box set a whirl sometime.

Good choice of Listeners.

Community Member
    Just realised I got Jonathan Morris mixed up with Jonathan Clements.

Community Member
    Just realised I got Jonathan Morris mixed up with Jonathan Clements.