No account? Register here

The Listeners #7: Doctor Who - The Lost Stories: Crime of the Century

This month's Listeners is Doctor Who: Crime of the Century. What did you make of it? You can express your views here...

Paul

Community Member
    Oh first time we've had a marmite type release in The Listeners.

Personally I'm rather fond of it. Authentic sounding for time it would've been screened, Ace continuing to mature, Raine showing promise, engaging villains .

Regards

mark687

I got this in the last Lost Stories sale.

Interesting story, but I felt Ace took over some of the things Raine could have done, like the sword fighting. I liked how it had characters from Thin Ice, which made it feel linked, but also felt very JNT with the continuity references to the previous story

A nice story but not much too it. I don't understand the hate of it nor the praise.

Community Member
    I have definitely enjoyed the "season 27" run of Lost Stories - just finished Earth Aid yesterday, in fact! All of them captured the spirit of the time well in terms of plot style, character interactions and music, while not falling into pastiche - the degree of change was appropriate for the development of the series, so a 1990 series might well have felt like this. We should have had two of the stories as three-parters, though...

Like seeley, I can't see why this one should be marmite. It feels a little scattershot and doesn't hang together quite so well as Thin Ice or Earth Aid, but there's enough going on to entertain and it offers a solid introduction to Raine. The contrast between her and Ace is fun, so I'm glad Ace wasn't written out in the previous story (I don't quite get the complaints about her "failing" the Time Lord entrance exam - they just decided they weren't going to let humans join, which fits in with their general attitude in the later-set Gallifrey series). The story ties in well with the season arc (something else that was coming more to the fore when this would have been broadcast), linking both backwards and forwards but not so tightly that you had to remember much.

Community Member
    I loved season 27. It felt right, a natural extension on what had gone before. Andrew Cartmel did a great job in pulling it together. And I love Raine, as Beth Chalmers is just a natural in the part. Love her.

Community Member
    Hello again. Crime of the Century, is an effective as a companion piece to Thin Ice. It has some sparkling dialogue, between all parties. Revisiting some of the same characters a second time within a season, while unusual, works well.

The story is at first glance purely a romp. There are some interesting ideas about the nature of combat set in a thinly disguised version of Afghanistan I thought the Metraxi were fine monsters but their 'surfer dude' voice reminded me of the Cuddlesomes!

I thought Beth Chalmers made a good start as the cat-burgler. A much better written character than Lady Christina from David Tennant's era. Her reaction to Ricky Groves, who is great as Marcus Creevy, was well-writtten and performed. I also thought the contrast with Ace's character was good when they finally meet.

Thin Ice was for me the stronger story, but I enjoyed the chance to hear a what might have been and look forward to sampling the other two stories in the Lost Stories season, when finances permit. Thanks Big Finish for bothering to resurrect them.

Community Member
    Story jumped around too much for my liking and was left slightly confused at time. Though the opening did make me smile and Raine was great.

Community Member
    A worthy follow-up to Thin Ice, though it's not just as strong story-wise, this adventure is full of memorable moments and interesting performances. Beth Chalmers, Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred are perfect, and Raine an exceptionally good foil for the Seventh Doctor. Episode One of this is possibly my favourite Episode One of any multi-part Big Finish story. 'Black pearls and black pepper' indeed. Jumping from location to location (and they're all realised well with great sound design and music), this is a promising second story of the Lost Season 27. 9/10
    Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures stories on TV and audio reviewed in 50 words exactly at my geeky blog: http://doctorwho50wordreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

My tuppence worth in: Crime of the Century: Deeply flawed, but very enjoyable, more so than Earth Aid.
    *insert pithy comment here*

Community Member
    Story jumped around too much for my liking and was left slightly confused at time. Though the opening did make me smile and Raine was great.
    Last edited by syed20; 18th September 2014 at 08:49.
    We offer best quality Peace College test papers and Pass4sure TK0-201 materials. You can get our 100% guaranteed ARM questions & The Johns Hopkins University to help you in passing the real exam of Youtube training.