No account? Register here

The Listeners #6: Treasure Island

Sorry this is a day later than usual; away you go!

Paul

Community Member
    Definitely having some of this. Excellent. Incidentally I wonder if it would help discussion if someone involved with the production might get involved? I only mention this as the Mahogany Murderers was surprisingly quiet.
    Obviously you're all mega busy, but it might help kick start this lovely idea you've had.

I might well be tempted with this one... let's see how the budget survives the rest of the month!
    See my Doctor Who blog Red Rocket Rising!

Highest Science reviewed December 2014
    Follow me on twitter@helmstone
    Creative tools for writers...
    Opening the Creativity Diamond available on Amazon now!

Community Member
    Once again my good intentions not to part with cash this month have evaporated. Wholloween last month and now Treasure Island at a bargain price. Looking forward to it already.

Oh, wow! Definite buy.

Thanks much!!
    Last edited by Pavlat; 5th November 2013 at 17:47.

this is a great adaption of a really good story.
    Forget Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean this is THE classic pirate story and Silver is one of Literature's classic Villain/Anti-hero

Robert Louie Stevenson writes in a very "Who" style adventure story and big finishes version is a pretty faithful adaptation.

tom baker is excellent, as is most of the cast. story rattles along at a good pace and the music is brilliant.

at 3 for a download it's pretty much a steal and well worth adding to your collection.

I would give it 8/10....the reasons I don't give it a 10 are

I did not think the beginning was as exciting as other adaptions , although faithful to the book..
    Jim Hawkins was a bit too prim and proper for me
    I thought the storytelling on treasure island got a bit muddy and found I needed to go back a re-listen.

but it really is a fantastic listen, not quite on a par with the Phantom of the opera from the classic range but better than dorian grey.

but I will shut up with all this waffle now and let you get downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinn View Post
    Once again my good intentions not to part with cash this month have evaporated. Wholloween last month and now Treasure Island at a bargain price. Looking forward to it already.
    All we need is a sale for the 50th weekend and we're all broke!
    See my Doctor Who blog Red Rocket Rising!

Highest Science reviewed December 2014
    Follow me on twitter@helmstone
    Creative tools for writers...
    Opening the Creativity Diamond available on Amazon now!

>>Incidentally I wonder if it would help discussion if someone involved with the production might get involved?<<

Who would you like? I believe Barnaby is away at the moment, but not for the whole month. I could ask Howard Carter to drop by...

Paul

Community Member
    Well it's not exactly who I would like, it's more whoever worked on it who would like to discuss some of the issues around it. I wouldn't want Howard to be sent here like a grumpy prefect if there was nothing particularly he'd like to talk about! Just thought it might be something to aid discussion/debate like a book group would (having never been to a book group and whose only experience of one is the exemplary Channel 4 comedy series I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about).

Community Member
    Just started to listen to this now and it's effectively gripping stuff. Like the chemistry between the narrator and his son. I've not read the book, so I'll assume its a device for the adaptation.

Strangely given how powerful I found his reading of a Christmas Carol (RIP Audiogo) I'm so far finding Tom Baker as the weakest link. Maybe it's because Silver hasn't shown his true colours yet.

Community Member
    I read the book ten years ago when I was in college and really enjoyed it, so revisiting this tale through the Big Finish team was a treat. The performances are excellent, especially Tom Baker as Long John Silver.

The sound design deserves special credit. From the booming canons to the crashing waves, the sound is just so excellent it really enhances the action of the tale.

This is definitely a program I will listen to again in the near future.

Thank you, Big Finish!

I decided to take BF up on this offer, and listened to part 1 last night. So far I'm really enjoying it (Hardly surprising for a Barnaby Edwards production!). Good cast, nice use of a mix of narration and dramatised scenes and good music too. I'm very much looking forward to part 2 this evening...

Community Member
    Caught the second half of this and Baker really does grow into the conniving role. Kudos too to the actor playing young Jim, he could have easily been irritating but wasn't (helped I think by the gravitas of old Jim narrating).

Listing to the interviews, I was astonished by the doubling up. Normally I can notice when an actor is performing a couple of roles, but not here. Perhaps because everyone's main character already had a silly pirate voice, it meant that the secondary or third characters didn't have to be so disguised from the norm. In fact the only obvious piece of doubling up was Tom Baker as Captain Flint! And blimey. I must have heard dozens and dozens of Nick Briggs audio performances, but didn't realise he was in this until the interviews. I was also convinced that Nick Pegg was Barnaby. Do they sound similar to others?

I would have loved to have a separate version of the song too. It's a shame it wasn't made available given that it sounds like there were several different versions. Imagine the publicity you could get for the play if you launched 'Tom Baker sings Dead Man's Chest' into the charts.

Listened to this in the van, on the road with the wife and the six kids. It was a roaring success. Ya done yerselves proud, mateys!